The Biology program at Athens State University provides a supportive and inclusive environment for incoming students that wish to expand their understanding of the fundamental concepts of Biology, the process of science, and improve their discipline-specific professional skills. We expect our graduates to use the foundation they have built at Athens State University to further their careers, enhance their personal lives, and contribute to society by via ethical research, science education, healthcare, environmental stewardship, and community involvement.
In support of this mission, the Biology program provides:
- a degree that can be personalized to prepare students for middle and high school teaching certification, medical & related health fields, graduate school, bioinformatics, and/or fields requiring a general preparation in biology such as field or research technician.
- an upper-level core curriculum that is intentionally cohesive through continuity of course material and prepares students to meet state and national Biology standards;
- flexible, student-centered course delivery that supports core content understanding and encourages experiential learning;
- small lecture and laboratory classes taught by expert faculty that also care about teaching; and
- advising that recognizes the individual goals of our students and helps them obtain the knowledge and skills they need to meet their own definitions of success through research experiences, service learning projects, and real-world internships.
Programs of Study
Our Biology major prepares students for a broad array of careers in Biology and will fulfill the requirements for most graduate and professional schools in research or pre-health. To meet student need, we offer traditional and non-traditional course scheduling. Ask an advisor to help you plan a schedule that meets your needs. The Biology program also offers the following Options:
Biology Major: Bioinformatics Option
This option within the Biology major provides students with knowledge and skills that will give them the ability to relate to, modify, and code minor computer programs involved in the analysis and interpretation of biological datasets.
Biology Major: Cellular and Developmental Option
This option within the Biology major is designed particularly for students interested in continuing in fields associated with Cell and Development, including those interested in working in research labs or applying to graduate school or professional school.
Biology Major: Ecology and Organismal Option
This option within the Biology major is designed particularly for students interested in continuing in fields associated with Ecology and Organismal Biology, including those interested in working as an environmental or field biologist, in field research, or applying to graduate school in ecology, environmental science, wildlife biology, or forestry.
Biology Major with Minor in Education (Grades 6-12)
The Biology major and Education minor is intended for those students wishing to teach Biology in Grades 6-12. It also allows them to teach Life Science, Biology, Human Anatomy and Physiology, Genetics, as well as Earth and Space Science, Physical Science, and Environmental Science.
The Biology minor is open to any major and allows students to take courses that support their interests. It complements a Psychology, Sociology, or Chemistry major, and adds to the resume of a student interested in entering an allied health field.
This minor is required for students who seek to be certified to teach Biology in Grades 6-12 by the time they graduate.
Marine Science Minor
Athens State University is a member of the Marine Environmental Sciences Consortium, based at Dauphin Island, Alabama. This affiliation offers Athens State University students an opportunity to take courses and conduct research in estuarine and marine environments. Courses offered during the summer at Dauphin Island Sea Lab may be taken for credit at Athens State University toward a major or minor in Biology or a minor in Marine Science.
ADDITIONAL DEGREE REFERENCE MATERIAL