All prospective students must complete the appropriate application for admission to Athens State University. Transfer applicants must provide official transcripts from all institutions previously attended. Once acceptance to the University is granted, contact the Office of Veterans Affairs to apply for benefits. The chapter under which you are filing will determine the documentation required by the VA to certify your benefits.

If you have previously received benefits at another institution, you must submit a “Change of Place of Training” Form, and a “Change of Address” Form.

An excellent way for veterans to use their educational benefits is pursuing a VA approved course of study at an institution of higher learning. All programs of study must be approved by the State Approving Agency in order to be certified by VA for payment of benefits. All degree programs at Athens State University are currently approved by the State Approving Agency.

A full-time course load for a student receiving veteran’s benefits is twelve hours or more; a three-quarter time course load is nine hours, a one-half time course load is six hours.

If a veteran fails a required course, he/she may repeat that course with pay. However, he/she cannot repeat a course just to improve a grade and receive payment through the Veterans Administration.

Veterans must attend classes regularly and continue to show satisfactory progress. Benefit payments will not be made for courses from which you withdraw unless mitigating circumstances exist.

A veteran’s monthly check for educational benefits could change if an accelerated course (weekend, one week, one month, etc.) is taken. See the Veterans Affairs Office on campus for additional information.

VA Information Form
Must be completed by all new/transferring students using the GI Bill.

Post 9/11 Disclosure Form
Required for all Post 9/11 recipients to complete.

Certification Request for VA Benefits
Must be completed EVERY SEMESTER in order to receive your veterans educational benefits.